BUSINESS, LEGAL AND INDUSTRY KNOW-HOW
Your business is hit with a lawsuit. Or a regulator comes calling. And your heart sinks.
Your business is your baby, and no one should threaten it with legal action. The challenges of growing your business are great enough already.
No one wants to defend a lawsuit or undergo a regulatory investigation. But they happen . . . every day.
That’s where the business litigators of Steptoe & Johnson come in. We’re here to guide you through every step of defending legal threats to your business. It’s what we do . . . every day.
Importantly, while we are very capable in the courtroom, we recognize that going to trial does not always serve a business’s interests. We tailor the approach to each dispute to reduce risk and get our clients back to what they do best – grow their businesses.
HOW WE HAVE HELPED
- Defended lenders (and servicers) in all types of consumer claims and regulatory actions
- Pursued and defended breach of contract actions in many industries, including financial services, health insurance, and construction
- Pursued and defended unfair competition lawsuits
- Pursued and defended intellectual property lawsuits (patent, trademark, and copyright)
- Obtained injunctive relief, sometimes very quickly, including temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions
- Developed innovative arguments for removing state court lawsuits to federal court
- Argued successful appeals in state and federal courts
- Co-lead counsel defending large pharmaceutical distributor in more than 2,000 opioid lawsuits in state and federal courts nationwide; responsibilities include developing arguments for and implementing removal of state court suits to federal court
- National and regional lead counsel in representation of banking industry in check payment and regulatory litigation, negotiable instruments, bank deposits, and collection
- Represent corporate entities in contract disputes (small and large) and utilize appropriate litigation resources to resolve the dispute effectively and efficiently
- Represent taxpayers (corporate, nonprofit, and individuals) before the Internal Revenue Service and state tax departments
- Represent banks and financial institutions in matters involving the Uniform Commercial Code and associated federal acts and regulations
- Litigate real property cases involving express and implied easements, partition actions, missing heir petitions, boundary disputes, and title disputes
- Conduct internal investigations and defended several clients, including large national companies, suspected of securities and other white collar violations