Click Here to view our COVID - 19 Preparedness Page
The Steptoe & Johnson Energy Litigation Team is one of the largest and most diverse industry-specific litigation practices in the United States. More than 60 Steptoe & Johnson litigators represent energy clients throughout the nation, with our highest concentration of litigators centrally located in the shale play regions.
The firm is ranked among The U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.” The firm is ranked in 96 practice areas including Appellate Law, Bet the Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Energy and Natural Resources Law.
What Sets Us Apart
- Dedicated team of litigators serving only the energy industry in all major shale plays
- Nearly half of our litigators have more than 10 years experience in energy litigation
- Largest mineral title practice in the eastern United States, so when mineral title litigation occurs, we know the title issues from the outset
- Our Emergency Response Team is ready to assist in a crisis and help clients prepare for the best response in critical situations
HOW WE HAVE HELPED
- As lead counsel, successfully defended claims in excess of $250M regarding allegations of contract breach, fraud, and tortiousinterference in a natural gas measurement dispute
- As lead counsel, prosecuted a claim in excess of $24M on behalf of a coal operator in an eminent domain matter that went to verdict in a jury trial
- Represented an oil and gas exploration company in state court litigation regarding public road easement and gravel use on fee lands in western North Dakota
- Represented oil and gas exploration company in a contract dispute involving oil and gas lease overriding royalty assignments covering lands in northern Colorado
- Litigated cases involving breach of lease agreements, breach of implied covenants, right-of-way disputes, injunctions against landowners, royalty disputes, and all types of energy-related cases in Colorado, Wyoming, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania
- Positive Supreme Court decision regarding the interpretation and application of the contractual indemnity obligation pursuant to the Texas Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Statute
- Defended a major energy company in a Clean Water Act citizens' suit alleging wastewater contamination from selenium and conductivity
- Litigated Marcellus shale well claims on surface use, ownership, drilling rights, pooling, and lease interpretation
- Defended oil and gas companies in mineral title and landowner lease dispute litigation in Ohio state and federal courts, including lease termination and Dormant Mineral Act litigation
- Represented oil and gas exploration company concerning a contract dispute regarding the interpretation of term assignments covering lands in central Wyoming
- Prevailed on summary judgment in a matter before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, enforcing a provision permitting fixed-rate post-production costs to be deducted from an oil and gas lessor’s royalty payments
WHAT DO OTHERS SAY?
Chambers USA recently wrote of the Energy Litigation Team,
Clients say, "They're wonderful. They are very responsive and very well known throughout the state, including to local judges and counsel, which is a very valuable resource as issues arise.”
Other clients praise the firm for its "consistency and professionalism," while other market sources note that the team has the ability to "handle big cases with success.”