Steptoe & Johnson’s Energy Transactional Team includes attorneys who assist energy developers, producers, and midstream suppliers in all aspects of corporate and transactional law.
Team attorneys provide guidance on everything from the selection of the most advantageous structure for a business to complex corporate issues and proactive advice on day-to-day operations.
Team members, located throughout Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia, build long-term relationships with clients and serve as trusted strategic advisors on both legal and business issues.
WHAT WE DO
- Significant corporate transactions
- Corporate governance
- Application of fiduciary duty and regulatory standards
- Venture capital and private equity transactions
- Public takeover bids and responses
- Restructuring and privatization
- Local representation and introductions
What Sets Us Apart
- $20B in recent, complex energy transactions
- More than 40 attorneys on the Transactional Team
- More than 100 years of experience in energy law
HOW WE HAVE HELPED
- Represented sellers and buyers in oil and gas acquisitions and divestitures, including the corporate sale of an entity worth $3.75 Billion, and multiple $100 Million plus transactions
- Reorganization of a Fortune 500 energy company into separate coal and oil and gas companies
- Local counsel responsible for providing guidance on applicable law and analysis of complex title issues as well as lead counsel on asset due diligence for acquisitions, joint ventures and joint development agreements involving several million net mineral acres in the Appalachian Basin
- Handled sale of tens of thousands of acres of Illinois Basin hydrocarbon reserves and negotiated with contractor in connection with construction of new multimillion-dollar plant and the negotiation of a lease of thousands of acres of hydrocarbons
- Assisted Fortune 100-500 companies in connection with the drilling of several hundred wells for the exploration and development of oil and gas in the Appalachian Basin
- Represented international entity in the purchase of an equity interest in a U.S. energy company and in the subsequent IPO of that company
- Advised on joint operating agreements, drilling commitment agreements, override agreements, and other documents defining parties’ rights and responsibilities in operating and producing in agreed-upon contract areas
- Coordinated team drafting a multimillion-dollar alternative-resource supply agreement for an electric generating plant, including traditional and unique contract issues, clean air and greenhouse gas regulations, potential tax credits, and subsidies for renewable energy sources, corporate tax ,and intellectual property