Steptoe & Johnson attorneys and lobbyists promote client interests before state agencies, state legislatures, and the United States Congress.
The team provides government relations services on issues including economic development, energy, environmental, financial services, gaming, government procurement, healthcare, industrial and public safety, insurance, labor, petrochemicals, taxation, technology, and telecommunications.
Our team has assisted clients in advocacy, appropriations, bill drafting, monitoring and lobbying, state government procurement, issue management, strategic planning, and communications.
HOW WE CAN HELP
- Lobby Executive Branch agencies regarding administrative rulemaking
- Advise clients regarding state government procurement-related matters
- Draft, monitor, and advocate for passage of legislation
- Lobby the State Legislatures
- Facilitate access to and meet with federal and state policymakers
- Prepare clients for testimony before legislative committees
- Build grassroots support for our clients’ projects
- Shepherd grants through state and federal agencies
WHAT SETS US APART
- Successfully lobbied for passage of multiple bills to accelerate the build-out of middle-mile broadband infrastructure – 2019
- Successfully lobbied for passage of generic prescription drug reform for national client – 2019
- Successfully lobbied against passage of state regulation of gaming activities championed by the Horsemen – 2019
- Successfully lobbied the Executive Branch culminating in execution of multi-million dollar statewide contract – 2019
- Successfully lobbied for passage of Cotenancy Modernization and Majority Protection Act on behalf of largest oil and gas producer in West Virginia – 2018
- Successfully negotiated, drafted amendments, and lobbied for passage of major utility legislation on behalf of West Virginia utility trade association – 2018
- Successfully lobbied for passage of supplemental appropriations bill to ensure government agency had adequate funding to pay technology company – 2018
- Successfully lobbied against passage of tax and mandatory coverage legislation negatively affecting managed care organizations, legislation negatively affecting online gaming operators in the thoroughbred racing industry, and banking legislation negatively affecting credit unions – 2018