Steptoe & Johnson attorneys and lobbyists promote client interests before state agencies, state legislatures, and the United States Congress.
The team provides government relations services on issues including economic development, energy, environmental, financial services, gaming, government procurement, healthcare, industrial and public safety, insurance, labor, petrochemicals, taxation, technology, and telecommunications.
Our team has assisted clients in advocacy, appropriations, bill drafting, monitoring and lobbying, fundraising, state government procurement, issue management, Political Action Committees, strategic planning, and communications.
Who Are We?
- Kurt Dettinger, Esq. - Former General Counsel to West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin
- Steve Perdue - Former Government Affairs Manager, EQT Corporation
- Gary Slagel - Former Director of Government Affairs and Director of Environmental Regulatory Affairs for CONSOL Energy Inc. and CNX Gas Company LLC
- Kevin West, Esq. - Former Managing Director, External Affairs, and Vice President, Legislative and Regulatory Affairs, EQT Corporation and its predecessors
- Gil White - Fourteen-year member of the West Virginia House of Delegates and former political liaison to West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin, III
How We Can Help:
- Lobby Executive Branch agencies regarding administrative rulemaking
- Advise clients regarding state government procurement-related matters
- Draft, monitor, and advocate for passage of legislation
- Lobby the West Virginia Legislature
- Facilitate access to and meet with federal and state policymakers
- Prepare clients for testimony before legislative committees
- Build grassroots support for our clients’ projects
- Shepherd grants through state and federal agencies
What sets us apart
- The ability to quickly respond to issues
- The ability to "work across party lines"
- Communication the way you want it - keeping the client updated on our progress
- Crafting and implementing action plans tailored to individual client needs
- Successfully lobbied for passage of Cotenancy Modernization and Majority Protection Act on behalf of largest oil and gas producer in West Virginia – 2018
- Successfully negotiated, drafted amendments, and lobbied for passage of major utility legislation on behalf of West Virginia utility trade association – 2018
- Successfully lobbied for passage of supplemental appropriations bill to ensure government agency had adequate funding to pay technology company – 2018
- Successfully lobbied for passage of multiple healthcare bills for hospital client – 2018
- Successfully lobbied against passage of tax and mandatory coverage legislation negatively affecting managed care organizations, gaming legislation negatively affecting online gaming operators in the thoroughbred racing industry, and banking legislation negatively affecting credit unions – 2018
- Successfully lobbied executive branch agencies regarding legislative rulemaking – 2017
- Successfully lobbied for passage of legislation to modernize environmental regulations to better fit the operations of unconventional oil and gas producers – 2017