Steptoe & Johnson real estate attorneys are hand selected for their skill at working with clients on complex and often multi-year development projects. Clients appreciate the scalability of the real estate group and the ability to work with firm lawyers to tailor the scope of services and right-size the project team.
Attorneys in the real estate practice are entrepreneurial and measure their success on the success of their clients. Firm attorneys are often at the table when an idea becomes a plan and when a plan becomes a project.
Group members look at real estate projects holistically and often collaborate with firm lawyers experienced in labor, tax, environmental law, and litigation to ensure that clients can achieve their business goals and manage risk.
The real estate group provides comprehensive legal services to commercial and residential real estate developers, lending institutions, governmental entities, investors, inventors, entrepreneurs, energy companies, and buyers and sellers of business assets.
- Commercial Real Estate Development
- Title Searches and Title Insurance
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Design and Construction Contract Review
- Lease Negotiations
- Survey Review
- Emerging Industries, Including Cannabis
- Environmental Review
- Land Use Regulations
- Income, Sales, and Property Tax Planning
- Commercial Real Estate Financing
- REO Properties
What Sets Us Apart
- Title agents affiliated with five different title companies, providing multiple avenues to complete a deal
- Four group members recognized among The Best Lawyers in America® in Banking and Finance Law
- Team members have key banking relationships in multiple states
- Comprehensive government affairs team
- Team member is a former State of WV Development Office executive
- Two team members are former vice presidents of regional banks
HOW WE HAVE HELPED
- Represented real estate developers in analysis of planning, zoning and land use regulations, including obtaining zoning ordinance waivers
- Engaged in a 1,100 acre mixed-use development including acquisition, conventional and public financing, acquisition of public grants and tax incentives, environmental remediation, construction, zoning and land use, state and federal and local environmental permitting, sales and ground leasing and build-to-suit leasing
- On behalf of real estate developers and tenants, drafted lease documents and negotiated lease terms and build to suit construction contracts
- Lead U.S. real estate attorney for Fortune 10 international energy company, including multi-site and single-site acquisition, development, and divestment of properties across the country, and environmental claims related to such properties
- Represented banks, mortgage companies, investors, and individuals in real estate purchase, sale and refinance, including title examinations, document preparation and closings
- Conducted due diligence to ensure proper collateralization and documentation of loans by assisting in evaluation of real and personal property liens, appraisals, surveys, environmental surveys, taxes, corporate structure, leases and other related items
- Assisted client in the successful development of a mixed-use subdivision including commercial, residential, and church properties. Representation included establishing criteria for development standards; as well as drafting, reviewing, and negotiating various documents including a complex master association agreement.